Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Humility... That still exists?

Humility: When was the last time you were wrong?  How does a teacher strike the balances between confidence and genuine humility.


The last time I was wrong... More times than I would like to admit.  I think the most recent time I was wrong was when I was planning on going somewhere with a group of friends and I said I was positive it was at a certain time, and of course it was not.  It was hard to admit I was wrong I first checked the time I had written down and then the website, I had wrote down the wrong time.  I think humility is a undeveloped skill in todays competitive society.  In a classroom students look up to what their teachers do, they may even mimic the teachers behavior.  Therefore it is important for teachers to teach skills like humility through their actions.  A teacher should not be afraid to admit when they are wrong.  I remember being in a classroom in my earlier school years.  The teacher had made an error when calculating a math problem on the board, one of the students pointed out the mistake.  They teacher became flustered and when the student tried to prove their point they were given a detention.  If teachers are not willing to except their own mistakes how can we expect students to admit their own?  When students make a mistake in the classroom as well as teachers we need to make it a learning opportunity rather than something to be ashamed about.  Also that the world will continue to spin even when you do make mistakes.  Also I believe that it is also important to acknowledge accomplishments, but at the same time not going overboard because when we celebrate to many accomplishments it lowers the importance of the acknowledgement of the accomplishment.  We need to find a balance in the classroom, for the teacher and the student.  Honesty is crucial to humility, students should learn to reflect on their actions just as teachers reflect on their teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment